Friday, October 17, 2008

Destination Paradise Week 6: Here comes the story of a hurricane...

So picture this...a beautiful tropical island, crystal clear waters, white sandy beaches, you and a few of your closest friends simply relaxing and enjoying life and the beauty of creation. Then in the distance you hear a noise, it is subtle at first but then the noise becomes a rumbling, thundering roar, the sun disappears behind an eery thunderous gray cloud and the moisture in the air increases tenfold...then you realize the roar is a wall of rain headed directly at your boat and your intimate gathering, you ask yourself, is this normal? Is there usually terenchous down poors immediately following bright and beautiful tropical days? Most of the time there is a reasonable explanations for such things occuring, like, a hurricane. So naturaly you respond by making a plan to flee to safety as quickly as possible. That would have been peachy, had both your motors been working, but no, neither one will start and the wind is coming more and more intensly from precisely the opposite direction you would like to sail...
All that to say we have had an super interesting week of 'sailing' but God is good and got us to safety. It has also been an action packed week spiritually as well...
This week our focus was generally centered around teachings on the Holy Spirit, but really each session came down to how the speaker, Matt Atkins, was led to introduce us about the truths that empower the heart of the Christian beyond understanding. His teachings weren’t so much in power point presentations or extensive notes (although there plenty of notes taken) but more so in the way he lived this week with us and demonstrated to us a way in which to move through life completely intertwined with the beautiful workings of the Holy Spirit. Matt is not a person you would describe as shy or passive, although he is very much someone who wears is spiritual heart on his sleeve and gives from the overflow of grace and love God has poured out over his own life. He and I immediately connected over coffee in the mornings and he did not to hesitate to challenge me personally in many areas of my spiritual life and worship. I am so thankful for Matt and am so thankful to know him and that he live just in Bellingham…roadtrips are in my future (Matt be afraid, ajajaja!!). Speaking of leadership I have some great news, Lynn and Chris selected two students to be a part of the leadership team and Tyler (a great guy from Montana) and I! I am pretty stoked about this and excited to see for all God will do through us on outreach! That is all from me for now, can’t wait to hear from you guys, write soon!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Amazing stuff Jayne! I hear you are considering Peru. We are going forward with it and have an interview this weekend. After that we will know more. Lots to do ahead...especially fundraising as I'm sure you know but we are excited to see what the Lord has for us!

Robin said...

Wow Jayne :) if you can get through a hurricane, you can certainly get through anything now! God really is doing some amazing things in your life and you deserve it sister. I am so happy to hear that you have made a life long friend Matt in this chapter of your life. Congrats on your leadership position, of course you would be selected, I have no doubts. I love you Jayne, your an amazing woman even out in the middle on the ocean. God is with you, and you're in my thoughts and prayers.
Love-Robin (Terri's little sister)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jayne!! I am also not shocked you were chosen for the leadership position. I am sure it will be it's own challenge as well as the others you are encountering. My first shower is this week for friends and I am really missing you. I know I should be here encouraging you in your journey and I am but selfishly I am just missing my best friend and wish you were here for this moment. But God is good and I know we'll have plenty of time to catch up. I love you and continue to be so proud of you! Hope you have a wonderful week!
Love, Mel

The Garden of Hope

thegardenofhope.org