Saturday, November 22, 2008

Destination Paradise Week 11: Peter Warren, the sweeper

Here's all the girls during a fun small group at Jeff and Kristen's (DP staff) apartment


The eleventh week, the last week of the lecture phase has come faster than I could have ever expected. One speaker early on told us that as we got into the flow of lectures the momentum would increase with each passing week, and it certainly has. Our last speaker couldn’t have been more equipped to lead us through this last week. Peter Warren is the director of YWAM Denver and has been involved with the organization for over 30 years. His base is one of the largest in the world and his knowledge of everything from spiritual warfare to relationships to Aussie card games is astounding. During our first session with Peter he asked us what we wanted to talk about this week. So, we developed a list of questions that covered the topics that hadn’t been thoroughly spoken of and we moved from there. It was refreshing to study this was and much easier on our already saturated brains. Peter is such a dynamic speaker and was truly a blessing to us. He took care to make sure no question went unanswered and allowed us to candidly ask anything on our minds. Peter is such a great example of the great things God can do with a willing and surrendered life. Although it was strange to wrap up lectures, it feels good to be moving on to what lies ahead.
As of next Friday we will officially be in outreach mode. This Thursday we will sail up to Corozal, Belize (actually we haven’t decided if it will be Corozal or Chetumal, but they are both in the north of Belize). Friday morning we will disembark the boats with all of our belongings and start the long journey to Nichoxtlan, Oaxaca. I actually have no idea how long it will take, but knowing myself and buses I will most likely sleep a good majority of the way there. There are a few things about outreach that we found out this week! We have accepted the invitation of Bethel Christian Center in Nichoxtlan, Oaxaca, to work with them on the various different ministries they have to serve their community. Nichox is a small community nestled in the Sierra Madre mountains and is still has a lot of indigenous cultural. They also make chocolate! As of now that’s really all I know. There is much to be decided but it will all come together soon and I will let you know soon! I am super excited about travelling into the heart of Mexico and settling in there for a few months. There are a few prayer requests I have for you guys if you could…
1. Health: there are quite a few of our team member that have been quite ill for a few weeks now and we need them to get better!
2. Contacts for outreach and ministry opportunities
3. That I remember how to speak Spanish: I know I will but I am always a bit nervous at first.
4. Warm weather: this may sound a bit silly but we were only allowed to bring one bag and the warmest piece of clothing I have is a zip-up hoodie!
5. General safety in the physical and the spiritual!

Thanks so much for your support, we couldn’t do this without you guys. I am not sure of what my internet access will be while on outreach, but I am hoping to keep up on my blog as much as I can! Blessings and love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy my friend! :)
Just doing a shout out and letting you know you are sent love, prayers and hugs. It's really exciting to see all that God is doing in your life Jayne. You are indeed COURAGEOUSLY following Christ. Amen Sister!
Love ya,
-Terri & The Gang! :)

PS- Hmm??...Chocolate how can we incorporate that in a ministry?? YUM!!

The Garden of Hope

thegardenofhope.org