Friday, October 9, 2009

Philippines: With the wind...

The journey of the past year of my life has been full of unexpected challenges and changes. From enduring engine failure while in the midst of a hurricane in the Caribbean Sea to waiting out two separate typhoons in the Philippines, things have stayed interesting to say the least. As storm systems move in and out, they serve to remind me that life also can change in an instant, with the strong winds of typhoon Parma blowing over the Philippine islands, so have they blown over the flow of my life and directed its course towards new horizons. After officially completing Module Two of the DTPA with Love 146, I had to do some serious evaluating of my current circumstances. Although the program is uniquely designed to create high quality aftercare workers and researchers, for me it is very much an introductory course. And so, after much prayer and seeking advice from family and friends, I have decided not to continue with the program.

The professors and Love 146 staff are some of the most incredible and beautiful people I have ever met, and I will always look back on my time living and studying within their care with great fondness. Further, it is because of the Love 146 programs that I am so inspired and driven to work directly in an aftercare setting. Love 146 has set the bar very high, and I hope to work with them again in the future. However, it is time for me to learn by doing and to put myself in a position to do so. One of the things that I have learned about where I fit in this huge multi-dimensional issue that is the commercial sexual exploitation of children, and their restoration, is that I have a lot to offer in the areas of personal and career development. For many survivors of CSEC one the basic and most insane issue they face is finding another way to make money besides prostitution. Prostitution is not the only option, but after years of being made to feel your value is merely based on how well you can sell yourself, it is hard for these women and children to see any hope. That is where I would like to step in by working with organizations that will provide practical skills and education that will enable survivors to thrive in new ways, living healthy lives and earning an income that they can feel proud of. I have experience teaching English and have applied for a few volunteer positions with organizations in Thailand. I am very hopeful about finding the right fit and know God is moving me every step of the way. Teaching English has been something I have fought for a long time, I really did not want to do it, and some how I had convinced myself that it feels like settling. However, being here, where the issue of CSEC is so prevalent and undeniable, English could be the lifesaver for so many individuals and a way for them to build confidence in themselves and a healthy future. Being a mentor, friend and teacher will be an honor and I would very much appreciate your thoughts and prayers for the right opportunity. Again I am so thankful for Love 146, who they are as an organization and how they have invested in me and now I finally feel ready to step out and find opportunities where I can serve. I will keep you posted as things develop and will need your prayers, love and support every step of the way.

1 comment:

Susan Schwartz said...

You're an amazing and beautiful young woman, Jane. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

The Garden of Hope

thegardenofhope.org